Finally, a new dress

I finally finished the dress I started a few weeks ago and stalled out on when I made the waist too tight. I didn’t have much room in the seams to take it out — having rather impulsively trimmed off the excess before fitting it, but by letting out each seam by an 1/8th of an inch, it’s now plenty roomy. In fact, I think it might be a little too roomy, but I haven’t washed it yet, so it may shrink up and bit then. The whole thing feels a little blousey and long still, so a hot water wash should do the trick. Yay, for fitting cheats.

I really like this pattern, but I think when I make it again, I will adjust the armholes to fit tighter. The original pattern called for shorter and looser cap sleeves, but I fucking hate cap sleeves. Could there be a more unflattering way of making a person’s arms look fat and stocky? No, there isn’t. Go die, cap sleeves. But I digress. I think I’ll trace the pattern and use the armholes and sleeves from Mail Oder 4936.

Due to the generous modified cap sleeves, I added in a pleat at the edge. They look fine and it adds kind of a nice touch to the dress, but I think I still will prefer tighter sleeves.

I was going to use these orange buttons I’ve been trying to find the right project for on this dress, but they just got lost in the pattern. Instead, I ended up using the buttons I bought for my failed gray and turquoise Frankenstein dress (which I still haven’t given up on). They matched perfectly and are almost the same size as the bursts on the pattern. Glittery!

I didn’t notice when I bought it that the fabric had nap, so I didn’t get enough to do any kind of chevrons or interesting patterns with the fabric pieces. Thankfully, the nap isn’t as obvious as I thought it would be.

Here’s the back. Definitely will be washing this in hot water. Funny how a dress can go from too tight to too loose in just a few minor seam changes.

 

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: